I thought it was about time that I put my money where my mouth is and start a communications blog. I was just elected president of National Federation of Press Women, and I hope to use this platform as a means to share with other members, potential members, and anyone who just enjoys communicating in today’s world.
A bit of background, I ran for president of NFPW, a 1,500-member professional communications group because I’ve gained so much from it — friendships, job skills, advice. It was time to give back.
My platform for the next two years is a SNAP!
Sustainability: It’s all about retaining and growing our membership. And that shouldn’t be difficult to do because of what NFPW is.
- NFPW is a full-service organization offering something for members in all areas of communications, and I’d like us to sustain that. Our members indicate that the organization is beneficial to them, and I want to continue to provide members with what they NEED TO SUCCEED within their careers.
Networking: What can we do for you?
- I’d like to build in more opportunities for CONSTRUCTIVE NETWORKING. At a recent conference we sat at tables based on our interests. That allowed individuals to meet other like-minded professionals. I would continue such activities and add others.
- One of the easiest ways to network and remain current in today’s marketplace is networking through SOCIAL MEDIA, and I will make a big push for that. Join us on Facebook and LinkedIn and follow this blog.
Professionalism: NFPW offers an outstanding conference each year. In addition, our affiliates host conferences, meetings and workshops.
- The talent and resources exist, but we need to CAPITALIZE on them and SHARE by using easy-to-use technologies and social media.
- My goal is to offer teleseminars, on-line presentations, and other resources for our members at little to no cost.
Additional platform, Fiscal Responsibility:
- Prudent stewardship of our resources is needed. We need to focus on areas that benefit our members and take a hard line look at the budget, cutting costs in areas where we can and applying those funds to other areas that are more critical to our members’ needs.
- We need to streamline and find more efficient ways of operating.
- Equally important, we must be transparent with the budget and money so that members understand how fiscally responsible NFPW is with the resources entrusted to it.
I’m looking forward to the next two years. More importantly, I’m looking forward to engaging with you through this blog. Let’s start the conversation.
2 thoughts on “SNAP!”
I echo Pat’s sentiments. We are all extremely proud of you and stand ready to help you in any way. My life has been so much richer over the past 27 years because of the wonderful friendships/connections I’ve found as a member of VPW. You are one of those constant members who manages to spread energy abundantly. Just when I think I’ve made all the connections I could possibly make, something or someone else pops up. The rewards for membership in VPW (NFPW) are limitless.
You go, girl!!!!
Congratulation, Cynthia! So proud of you and the way you are using your multiple talents and skills to further our organization. You really are an inspiration, and that’s not an empty compliment.
Perhaps your ears were burning on Sunday when Emyl was in Orange promoting her newest book. You have another big fan there.
Keep it up, Babe!