I read some interesting numbers about the internet earlier this week.
They were from Mary Meeker, a partner at the venture-capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
She presented on industry trends at the Web 2.0 Summit, a conference of the tech industry’s leading thinkers.
Here’s what she shared:
- In three years, China added more Internet users than exist in the United States. The biggest adders were China, India, Nigeria, Russia and Iran.
- Social networkers exceed internet users, and 70 percent of them use Facebook.
- Smartphone usage still has a huge upside. There are 835 million smartphone subscribers and 5.6 billion mobile phone subscribers.
- iPods changed the media industry. iPhones became bigger and more popular even faster than iPods. iPad growth leaves its “siblings” in the dust.
- Mobile search is growing rapidly.
- “Sound is going to be bigger than video,” says Alexander Ljung, founder and CEO of SoundCloud.
- Content is about global information flow. It’svreal-time, fast and broad.
How will these trends impact how you do business?